Now a sprawling video game franchise with no shortage of film adaptations, tie-in products, and remakes, Resident Evil has kept us on the edge of our seats for decades with its tried-and-true brand of jump scares, zombie action, and biological horror. But even decades after its release, we can’t stop revisiting the original’s thrills, chills, and—sometimes unintentional—spills.
Pop culture writer and horror cinephile Philip J Reed takes dead aim at 1996’s Resident Evil, the game that first defined “survival horror” and then turned it into an entire genre. While examining Resident Evil’s influences from the worlds of film, literature, and video games alike, Reed’s love letter to horror examines how the game’s groundbreaking design and its atmospheric fixed-cam cinematography work to thrill and terrify players—and why that terror may even be good for you.
Featuring a foreword from Troma Entertainment legend Lloyd Kaufman and new interviews with the game’s voice actors and its live-action cast, the book serves as the master of unlocking the behind-the-scenes secrets of Resident Evil, and how even a game filled with the most laughable dialogue can still scare the pants off of you.
– Horror Geek Life: Philip J Reed’s ‘Resident Evil’ is a gift for fans
– Video Game Book Club: Resident Evil by Philip J Reed
– Dead Entertainment: Boss Fight Books’ Resident Evil Explores the Storied Origins of Survival Horror
– Game Spew: Philip J. Reed Unlocks Resident Evil with this Survival Horror Deep Dive
– That Jersey Gamer: ‘Resident Evil’ Boss Fight Books Review
– Geek to Geek: Boss Fight Books: Resident Evil by Philip J Reed (Book Review)
– Electric Bento: Author Philip J Reed talks ‘Resident Evil’ from Boss Fight Books
– Game Spew: Unlocking Resident Evil: An interview with Philip J Reed
– Boss Fight Books: Gabe Durham Interviews Philip J Reed About Resident Evil
– Highlands News-Sun: Based on a true story
– Resident Evil Database: Entrevista | Philip J. Reed, autor de livro sobre bastidores do primeiro Resident Evil (Portuguese / English)
– Something Old, Something New: Interview with Philip J Reed
– New Super Gamer Podcast: Writer-in-Resident Evil with Philip J Reed
– Let’s Survive: Author Spotlight – Philip J Reed
– halfwayokay Episode 126: Bones of the Wolfman
– “Da” Podcast Ep. 176: Resident Evil
– Digitally Uploaded: On writing a book about Resident Evil, and what makes a good JRPG
– Game Till Five: Top Five Monsters feat. Philip J Reed